Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fair Warning: This WILL NOT be a class!!!

OK---a few words first...yesterday...I was about to loose it between furnace issues, sick cats, etc.-and I really, really needed to get out of the house. We (aka Theresa and I) had planned on going to Scrapbook Addict to check out their closing sale...when we got the e-mail that she was going to be closed Sat.--? Go figure. Why you close on Sat. when everyone is out shopping is beyond me. We won't go there. Theresa needed to stay close to home as they had an evening event they were going to so SHE suggested we try this project. I agreed. Oh boy oh...!!! We both realized before too long that this was not going to be a "quickie" project! It is called a Matchbox Drawer Advent Calendar. It is made from 24 --you guessed it--matchboxes. The lady whose blog Theresa found pictures from said it took her a week to make this! Even though she was hand-cutting each box and "lid", we found out that the Big Shot and Stampin' Up matchbox die only made it minimally faster. I think we spent 2-3 hrs. yesterday just cutting and assembling the matchboxes. Today...I spent 5 solid hours finishing the thing! I am tired-but a good tired!
II also had some technical difficulties along the way. First, I attempted to glue the stacks of drawers together. I quickly realized that was wrong (the drawers wouldn't open!) and attached them instead to the base, the middle layer and then the top. Well, my top didn't look at big as my bottom (don't even GO THERE! lol!), so I tried to quickly pull it off. It didn't work too well. I had used hot glue---lots of it. It was gummy but not set--so when I pulled, it pulled like taffy. My top is terribly cattywhampus but you can only see it if you look at it from the bottom or eye-level up. Sigh. The second problem is...my box is going counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. Opps. And, what I now realize is, if I would have flipped the whole thing over when I had the lid issue--the box would not only look better but would be going in the right direction. All that said-its not too shabby a job for the work that went into it. I used Close to My Heart stamp sets-Bethlehem and Christmas Chatter (with the exception of baby Jesus and the children-not sure who made them--will post that tomorrow. Here's my finished box...





















Do you like it? I haven't filled the drawers-yet! But I think I might hint to my husband that they are just the right size to hold a key to a Mini Cooper! I think cream with a black roof would be nice. But then so is yellow...or red---I had a red car once...loved it. Oh well...one can dream!
Until next time, happy stamping and scrapping!
Blessings,
Sharon






No comments: