Wednesday, March 24, 2010

One of my favorite things...

One of my all-time favorite Easter things wasn’t the baskets left by the Easter bunny (anybody else ever have a hard time eating the head off the chocolate bunny? I always saved that for last-for whatever reason, it bothered me!~), or the new spring toys I received (watering cans, shovel, bubbles, etc.)–it was the large egg formed from hard sugar that, when you peeked in the hole at the end, you saw a whole scene inside–bunnies, flowers, grass (Google "diorama Easter eggs if you have no clue what I am talking about!). It was a mini magical wonderland for me and I always loved looking at them over and over again. Unfortunately, not only have I not seen the "real deal" in years, but I doubt seriously they would survive in our hot, humid climate or with some of the critters that go along with that (palmetto bugs, to put it politely).
Alas, when I saw Artful Legacy’s Easter Collage Stamp (Ag 400 K), I couldn’t help but think, "Easter egg diorama!"-- or, in this case, "box". I had the parts and pieces in my mind, but it needed something and I wasn’t sure what. I consulted with Theresa, and she suggested using the cracked glass technique on the collage images. It gave them just enough tint to make it look almost vintage. In fact, I am thinking of going back and distressing (sanding) the edges of the box and panels to "age" the whole piece even more. I added the AL "Easter Blessings" sentiment (ALS 951 G ) around it and it just popped. Then I played with pieces for the inside. Again using the pop-up technique I used last week, I simply made a base,
attached my pop-up boxes from front to back and layered the images from the collage stamp onto the boxes. I added a flower fairy (after all, I am a real flower fairy—but that’s a whole ‘nother story! ; ) and an Easter Egg sentiment. Can anyone tell how I made my "grass"? Leave a comment and tell me what you think I used. I will post the answer next week! It was somewhat difficult to get a good photo of what it looks like from the "peep hole"! Didn’t think about that! It was fun to do—and I think I will make some more. Originally, I thought I might give this to my good friend, Theresa, who always decorates beautifully for every holiday but, um, I kinda fell in love with it...and, it is just the "prototype" after all...the next one would be MUCH better! Lol.
As a second project. I wanted to try stamping on a puzzle. This is something I’ve never done before and, coupled with the fact that the Easter mosaic stamp is so detailed, I really had some serious doubts. I was surprised when it stamped PERFECTLY on the first try! I knew the AL stamps stamped great, clear images on paper but to stamp so well on the cut, uneven and GLOSSY surface of the puzzle?! I’m hooked! I think this will go to my goddaughter as part of her Easter treats. Thanks for "hopping" by and, until next time, happy stamping and scrapping! Blessings, Sharon
Products used: Stamps: Artful Legacy (see post), For a Special Friend-Stampin’ Up; Flower fairy and Easter egg sentiment-Close to my Heart; Box, designer paper, ink-Close to My Heart; Ultra Thick Embossing Powder; Crayola Colored Pencils; Ribbon-Offray; Eyelets-Making Memories; Scallop punch-Martha Stewart; Pop Dots.

1 comment:

Stressed Stamper said...

Fantastic blog for the day - loved reading it