Saturday, November 15, 2008

Never ASSUME Anything...


I had read---and reread---and didn't like what I was reading! Then an e-mail came through--which confused what I had just read even more! Sigh. I was, "once upon a time" -- a legal secretary. I read and typed and copied and faxed legal documents 8-5 M-F. I have SOME common sense about those things. But my understanding of what I had just read was NOT in my favor and I was really, really upset about it. My red-headed German temper was showing. So I sent an e-mail to the person I thought would know the answer to my question(s). She didn't. She referred me to someone else. Now, we've all been there. It's after 5 PM, the people we need to get to have gone, and we're left to fuss and fume. All night. We toss and turn. We don't sleep. The monster in our mind turns into a GIANT--suddenly bigger than anything else we can imagine! Then when we do reach a real, live human being we hear "I'm sorry-I can't help you. You have to talk to..." and we fuss and fume some more. Well, this time my step-father's advice came back to me ---sometime in my teen years I remember him telling me "Look at the word ASSUME. Now break it down --- AS/U/ME ---can you get "ask-you-me" out of it?" Ok-so it's a bit of a stretch. But he made his point-Don't ASSUME-ASK! So I sent off a detailed e-mail to the powers that be and waited anxiously for the answer yesterday (well, as anxiously as I could while Theresa and I were shopping all over Wilmington! Lol!) . I did have an answer when I got home. And guess what? My fretting and fuming and fussing and anxiety---was all for naught! I had misinterpretted what I had read. The problem I THOUGHT I had---didn't even exist! The moral of my story can be summed up in Philippians 4:6-"Do not be ANXIOUS about ANYTHING,but in EVERYTHING, by PRAYER and PETITION, with THANKSGIVING, present your requests to GOD, and the PEACE of God, which transcends ALL understanding, will guard your HEARTS and MINDS in CHRIST JESUS." ASK--you just might be pleasantly surprised by the answer you get! ; ) You thought I was done there, right? I did, too! But the Spirit is still moving so I am going to keep typing. Yes, the answer (this time) was in my favor. But what if it hadn't been? Sure, I would have been disappointed. I couldn't have done things MY WAY (ouch!)---but I, WITH GOD'S HELP, would have reached down inside...and found another way---probably a BETTER WAY (as His paths and ways usually are...) and I may have been SURPRISED at what I found within me during that process. So---don't put yourself-or GOD-in a box...He can do ANYTHING---with and through you. We just have to um, ASK....! Time for more coffee. Think on that. Until next time...happy stamping and scrapping! Blessings, Sharon

No comments: