Wednesday, March 31, 2010

HE IS RISEN!!!

For Christians around the world, Easter Sunday marks the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ...the cross is empty–He has risen, indeed! Death and despair have been replaced by love and hope.


I knew I wanted to pair these two images from Artful Legacy–the cross (AF112J) and the dragonfly (AG635C) the moment I saw them. But how to do them–and their symbolism-justice without taking away from that? Keep it simple. And simple meant white. I made a standard sized card base with one exception-I made the spine 1/4" rather than a simple fold so it would stand out just a bit from the back of the card and accommodate the "popped up" cross. For the outside, I embossed a slightly smaller white panel with a Cuttlebug embossing folder and attached it to the card front. I then used a large Marvy scallop punch to punch out the oval from both layers (I think I must be the only one in the stamping/scrapping world who doesn’t own Nestabilities!) I added a small strip that was punched with a Martha Stewart punch to the open (inside) of the card. I then stamped two images the cross using white Brilliance ink on chocolate Close to My Heart cardstock. I ran it through a Cuttlebug embossing folder and then, since CTMH cardstock has a white core, I distressed it by sanding, added pop-dots and twine to make it appear as two pieces of wood bound together. I then stamped the cross two more times-this time using hydrangea CTMH ink on white cardstock. I cut out one side of the stole from each image, used some Crystal Effects to give it a satiny (satiny) finish, and layered it (yes, with pop-dots, onto the cross. I attached this to the card base, centering it in the open oval. I then stamped the "peace" image (source unknown) and the AL dragonfly on the card base using hydrangea ink. I HAD to add the dragonfly–! I love them. As a believer, butterflies (and for me, dragonflies as well) symbolize new life in Christ-being born again and living anew. His resurrection and power therein. Two powerful symbols in one card. It speaks volumes without saying a word! This may sound a whole lot more difficult than it really was! The AL images are so wonderful to work with-crisp, clear stamping and great designs–that I think for me the hardest part is getting photographs that do them justice! I either have poor lighting (my husband no longer questions "backdrops", cards and cameras perched on the bathroom counter (the only place I have good light and then only on sunny days!) as I run back and forth checking my photography!), little black cat showing up in images just as I click or a myriad of other issues (dead camera batteries, etc). I hope to use these same images (the cross and dragonfly) and use some music sheets-The Old Rugged Cross seems quite appropriate–as background paper. Hmm...something to do on the next rainy day!
Have a Happy and Blessed Easter, everyone and, until next time, happy stamping and scrapping. Blessings, Sharon

No comments: