Saturday, May 3, 2014

Happy National Scrapbooking Day

Hope everyone is stamping and scrapping their hearts out today.
Despite everything,
even I went in the "magic kingdom" and played today.
I will get to that in a minute.
 
Speaking of minutes,
I was early to an appointment a few weeks back
and stopped in a little shop I like to poke in
and found this...
 
It was--bright yellow.
I wanted it to match some other things in my bedroom
so I painted it.

Once upon a time bird feeder
is now repurposed as a book holder
for my daily devotional books!
I am still debating whether to add some white rope as "handles"
where those holes are
or fill them in altogether.
A decision for another day.
 
So.
Among 1,001 other things
I have been down with a numb shoulder/arm/hand.
Not fun.
A friend of mine/former co-worker
MASSAGE THERAPIST
came to my rescue last week-end.
I called her and not only was she on the island-
she made a house call!
AND
she would not let me pay her!
"That's what friends are for!"
She did alleviate the pain
and I got feeling back in 3 out of five fingers.
She came again Wed. morning and worked some more.
Whatever it is does not want to go away!
But I am so grateful for Linda and the relief she gave me
I decided to make her a thank you card
and celebrate National Scrapbooking Day at the same time.
 

Sometimes I even surprise myself-and this one sure did!
Lots of colors and patterns and somewhat out of the box for me
but I absolutely LOVE IT!
(a bit biased maybe!)


The image is Mo's Digital Pencil "Pool Party".
I colored it with Copics and used to designer paper.
Are you ready for the surprise?
This is actually an easel card-on a card!
Lots of pop dots!

 And here she s standing up...
I used an ancient CTMH stamp set for the life saver
and the turtle is from another CTMH set along with the "you're a" sentiment.

Now--I wanted a "watery" effect
and my first thought was---Crystal Effects.
But
I didn't want to wait that long for it to dry!
So I thought again---
and somehow came up with Ultra Thick Embossing Powder!
One layer was all it took!
I heated it just until it was barely melted
to give it the water droplet look
vs. a smooth finish.
I just liked it better.

I added what I call my "beachy beads" for sand--
which are simply 2/3 gold and 1/3 silver microbeads mixed together.
I use Crystal Effects to adhere them.
And here came the problem.
Remember when I said I didn't want to wait for it to dry?
Well, I didn't.
UGH!
After putting it all together I realized I had a smudge
from where I inevitably stuck my finger in the wet CE.
But, as any seasoned scrapper/stamper knows,
there are NO MISTAKES in stamping/scrapbooking
only OPPORTUNITIES for EMBELLISHMENT.
See that little turtle on the left?
Cute isn't he?
Can't tell he's covering up my boo-boo huh?!
Really-I planned it that way all along! ; )





Now all of this is mounted on a regular card base
so I have room to write a message!
That's one of my pet peeves with the "traditional" easel cards-
not much room to write.
 

And in case you are wondering how I did it
with the center stand up...
 
I tweaked it in that instead of leaving the two side panels-I cut them off.
I adhered a full piece (5 1/2" x 4 1/4" dp to the remaining flap.
Once my top of my card was complete,
I then adhered it to the front of another card base.
Clear as mud, huh?!
You'll figure it out!


 
That's it for now.
I hope to make her a set of notecards--we'll see.
Next week is going to be crazy----
Bad Cat AND Inky have vet appointments
in the same day
and then we have another appointment later in the week
I am worn out thinking about it.
 
Until next time,
happy stamping and scrapping!
Blessings,
 





No comments: