Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring is springing...!

Despite our cold temperatures (after our tease with warm weather-followed by a hard frost!), the FIRST purple martin (bird on the left) of the season showed up this morning!  We put up 3 of these houses in our front yard every year and they come and nest.  It's really special to watch them building --oftentimes there's what I've come to call "porch furniture" --the over ambitious (probably first time) nesters will bring branches and vines that are way too big and stick out onto the deck!  We can, with binoculars, see the babies once they start coming to the openings to be fed.  The sparrows are not so nice to the martins--so keeping them away is always a struggle. Hmm...maybe I will suggest hubby put a few different nesting boxes lower..can't hurt.  We also have bluebird houses although it's been a year or two since we've had them nest.  We have painted buntings that visit our back deck feeder and they are quite a treat to see as well.  If you like baby animals, goats in particular, check out http://antiquityoaks.blogspot.com/  There are a lot of cute photos as the "kids" are hatching like crazy!

One more sympathy card for today.  I want to send one to Theresa's parents and this is what I came up with:
Close to My Heart (wings paper, juniper & crystal blue inks) meet Stampin Up (bird image)!  Yep, that's a real piece of branch that bird's perched on!  And no, your eyes are not deceiving you--that is a Martha Stewart border punch you see.  I caved.  I love the look of this and have drooled each time it appears on a blog.  So I bought it. Unfortunately, as usual, there's an issue with it.  I can't get the close up image to load but there's one scallop that's cutting uneven.  At least I purchased it at Michaels so exchange and/or refund shouldn't be too difficult.  From now on, I will open the packages and try them at the check out.  I've had a lot of issues with her punches and typically refuse to buy them.
Well, I want to do some blog hopping and the coffee cup needs refilling! Whatever you do today, enjoy. Until next time, happy stamping and scrapping. Blessings, Sharon
ps/I just visited MS's site...http://www.marthastewart.com/goodthings/container-magnets and saw this cute little project.  Add a pencil and a small note pad and this would make a great little gift! 

No comments: