Sunday, January 2, 2011

Something (else) New...

Good Sunday Morning to you! Our lovely island is blanketed today in a thick, dense fog! Kinda nice to be back home from church and tucked in for the day--the fog is pretty-as is the ocean in her dark grays and blues-a sleepy, don't do much of anything kind of day. A GREAT day (and excuse, if you need one) to STAMP. So let's get to it!
I got something NEW (besides the January stamp of the month set Find Your Style) to play with and that is CTMH's CLEAR CARDS. These cards are clear acrylic and something I had not tried before! I needed a thank you note and wanted to use the new stamp set so I went to work. I cut 4- 3 3/8" circles out of colonial white cardstock.
For the front of the card, I ran one circle through the Big Shot using the Divine Swirl embossing folder. Next, using the "direct to paper" technique, I inked the edge of the circle as well as the raised portion of the swirls. I attached it to the card base using double stick tape. Next I stamped the bird image 2 times and the "for the wonderful gift" sentiment once. I used Crystal Blue ink and, for the sentiment, I embossed it with clear embossing powder. I carefully cut the bird images and layered them onto the background paper with my favorite-can't-live-without-it item: POP DOTS (no surprise there, huh?!) Next I punched out the sentiment as well as the scalloped background paper. Now-I did not have Crystal Blue cardstock--and I wanted to back my sentiment with it to give it some "pop". What to do? Well, I took my trusty BRAYER, inked it well, rolled it over the colonial white piece I had punched and presto! Crystal Blue cardstock! I layered the sentiment on to it as well (just tape-no pop-dot!) and the front of my card was almost done.
I then inked the edges of the other 3 circles again using the direct to paper technique. I stamped the sentiments and embossed with the clear embossing powder. Attached double sided tape, lined it up with the circle on the front and attached the top panel. More tape to the bottom panel piece, centered it and attached it. I printed (using the red, blue and green printer codes to match my ink color) the "Made especially for you by..." sentiment and attached it to the back of the card. Since the card is clear, you need to be sure to cover whatever paper pieces you attach or you will see your adhesive-hence the layers and lining up. Back to the front panel--I punched two small holes and attached some fibers and ribbon, tying in knots and a bow. Presto! Pretty thank you note ready to go. Well-almost. Contrary to what some of our "groupies" think---the StampQueen is NOT PERFECT! I have to confess-as I was typing this and getting ready to give you the low-down on where to find these items-I read the description on the cards. It said, and I quote, "Remove the clear protective film before use." Film? WHAT FILM? I didn't remove any film...! Mad dash, get card, CAREFULLY scratch at edge of card and, sure enough-there was the protective film! OOPS! The good news is...even though as it came off-and my card front and back panels came off with it-I was able to peel my decorated panels off the protective film and put them back without any damage-and anyone besides me being any the wiser. Now you know, too! Learn from my mistakes! I did not rephotograph the card-it is a good bit clearer vs. the somewhat "hazy" look without the film! You'll see the difference when I post the photos of the cards I am working on today! These cards are fun to play with and I have two more designs going around in my head-BUT I WILL REMOVE THE PROCTECTIVE LAYER FIRST! Lol.
Of course I've got to post some new CUTE CAT PICTURES as well...first Poppa Cat got impatient sitting at the front door waiting for Poppa to come home for lunch and decided to bunch up the rug...Momma caught him in the act...then somehow I think I may have gotten
something you won't find on any page in the old or new CTMH catalog...first the "baby" (aka Inky)had to check it out...and then the "grandpa" of the bunch had to see what was going on as well...! Lol.













I am off to do some blog hopping and then to whip up the card ideas I mentioned so be sure to stop back by tomorrow to see what I cooked up. Until next time, happy stamping and scrapping. Blessings, Sharon
PS/One of my goals in 2011 is to increase my blog following! If you have enjoyed my blog and know someone else who might like it as well--would you please tell them about it? Do you follow it but haven't "signed in" as a follower? Please do! It's not hard and, of course, COMMENTS are always welcome! Tell me what you like (even what you don't!)-or if there is something you want to know, learn or see-let me know!
Materials used: CTMH: Colonial White cardstock & Crystal Blue ink (p.100 & 101,) Clear Cards (p. 88); Card Chatter Thank You (p.74); 3"x3" block (p.33)--Autumn/Winter 2010 Catalog;
January Stamp of the Month: Find Your Style-Inspirations Brochure (avail. Jan. 1-Jan. 31, 2011 only). Other: CuttleBug Embossing folder Divine Swirls; Stampin' Up: Big Shot machine, oval and oval scallop punches, heat gun, clear embossing powder.
Visit my Close to My Heart site at http://okistampqueen@myctmh.com to shop-or contact me via e-mail (there is a convenient e-mail link on the site as well!) with any questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to show you how to scrapbook-and stamp-faster, simpler and easier!

1 comment:

Stressed Stamper said...

Stunning - love it...Cats always love boxes and packages.... Happy New Year to you. Back to crafting now after my xmas break - missed it
Sarah x