Thursday, February 25, 2010

Part of a card...

There's really a (good) reason I am only showing you part of a card but I am not going to go into it! TT's (short for "Theresa (too) 2") Sweet 16th birthday was Tuesday. I am late (as usual)...and her card still isn't done! Oh well. It's the thought that counts, right? And she'll get to celebrate a little longer. Here is a close up of the cake. It is from Close to My Heart's stamp of the month (February) set which is deliciously adorable! I ordered it on the 1st-or close to it-I just couldn't wait! Lol. This is part of what's called a "side step card"--some of my previous posts show the whole card/concept-for now, here's the "step" part-and there's a great tutorial on Julie Davison's site (http://www.juliedavison.com/) that will tell you how. I made mine a bit bigger to accommodate the letters--and, I apologize, but I can't remember whose site the larger measurements were on or I would give credit where credit is due...anyway--what I used was 6"x12" paper-scored at 6". Then I made a cut 4" in from the left side, beginning 3" down and stopping 1" from the bottom. You then score on the 3", 6" 8", 10" and 11" inch marks and fold mountain, valley, mountain, etc. This will make more sense to you if you watch Julie's tutorial first! The cake--is colored with Sharpie's (I've not been blessed with Copics...yet...) and then the cake itself covered with Liquid Glass and covered with clear glitter. It was also embossed first with clear embossing powder (this helps the coloring --or should I say color-er...) to stay in the lines! Yes, there ARE 16 candles there--I layered some on the front and back of the panel and they, too were clear embossed and then stamped in color(s) (CTMH citrus leaf, crystal blue, watermelon and sunflower). The "Sweet 16" is from the CTMH Boutique Alphabet and Number set, stamped in watermelon, embossed and yes, Theresa, all cut out one by one (your daughter is a sweetheart!) The ribbon...was "leftover" from, believe it or not, a customer's Christmas card order! Lol. I believe it is Offray. Of course..there are lots of pop-dots to give it all dimension.

On another note...cats are said to be "great hunters". They will often bring whatever they have caught and lay it at your feet expecting you to say "good kitty" while you, um, are trying to smile and not loose your cookies to put it politely. While our guys are inside cats (except for our back deck where they can go out but not down--we're up on pilings...) they don't get to hunt. One of the kitten's favorite toys when he was, indeed, a kitten, was Squeaky Mouse. I could rattle this mouse (who squeaks) and the baby would come running and do anything I wanted. Well, while the fascination and cooperation has died back a bit as he's gotten older and perhaps wiser...he still plays with it from time to time. I noticed last evening and this am that the mouse was under the corner of the bathmat by the bathroom sink. Today...he is now sitting exactly in front of "The Throne"! I cracked up when I saw that! I think somebody wants or needs to hear a "good kitty" (perhaps it's the Bad Cat who lived up to his name after he got on the counter and decided to sample my husband's lunch-none other than tuna salad. I dare say there was more salad than tuna left! That BAD CAT!).
That's it for me today. I may finish her card...or not. There's always tomorrow, Scarlet! Gotta run some errands and clean up a bit. Until next time, happy stamping and scrapping. Blessings, Sharon

2 comments:

Stressed Stamper said...

Fab card - need to look at that tutorial.
Hugs
Sarah

corinnesomerville said...

Hey Sharon !!

What an amazing card and I love your cat story :)...hehehe !!! Gotta love those animals in our lives :) !!

Big Hugs
Corinne (aka Roxy)